Welcome and welcome back to all of the students, faculty and staff who make up the OSU Department of Dance!
This is the OSU Dance weekly blog blast, our medium for announcing important administrative information, job openings, internship listings, funding opportunities, masterclasses, auditions, academic deadlines, and more, so be sure to read it each week.
You can also follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date with all of the goings-on in the department. And check out the new "Upcoming Events" tab at the top of this page for a quick list of departmental events this year.
NEWS + UPDATES
Casting auditions will take place this Saturday, August 30 for Dance Downtown, Drums Downtown, and the spring Repertory Company. Registration starts at 9am; the audition runs from 10-12pm.
Sullivant Opening Updates: There are still opportunities to get involved with Sullivant's Travels and the Alumni Reunion taking place on September 20-21. Email Susan Petry if you are interested in being an usher for the performances, and email Dori if you'd like to volunteer during the alumni events.
|Photo by Nick Fancher|
AROUND + OFF CAMPUS
August 25-October 3: Tracers Takes Over at Hopkins Hall Gallery.
August 30: Claire Porter performs Prepositions and a Piano at Ohio Wesleyan University
September 4-5: Symposium "Blurring Boundaries without Burning Bridges" in the Department of Theatre.
September 17: Jingle composer Martin O'Donnell speaks at Weigel Hall Auditorium.
HIGHLIGHTED COURSE OFFERINGS: AU 14
There is still room in some amazing course offerings this fall in the Department of Dance, including
- Improvisation: Being Here, Being With, Being Together with Dr. Harmony Bench
- Jewish and Israeli Dance: Social and Concert Dance of Israel and the Jewish Diaspora with Dr. Hannah Kosstrin
- Argentine Tango with Yuval Flicker
- Korean Dance with Mihwa Koo
- Aesthetics & Criticism with Dr. Candace Feck
- Intermedia with Norah Zuniga-Shaw
- Composition: Special Topics with Bebe Miller
Contact the instructor for more information.
And, in the Barnett Center:
- Graduate Student Think Tank: This year-long think tank will collaborate with the King Arts Complex (located downtown) to develop organizational and management structures, envision new uses for their building, assess their relationship to the larger Columbus community, develop new business structures, revenue streams, and a succession plan to steward this historic theater for future generations. Credit is available through an Arts Management Internship (8191.01). Class will meet two hours each week at a time to be determined by the participants. Email Sonia BasSheva Manhon, Director of the Barnett Center for Integrated Arts and Enterprise, for application and more information.
|Professor Rodney A. Brown taught this summer at the Kentucky Governor's School for the Arts. Check out this great photo of Professor Brown in action.|
Summertime Across the Globe: Members of the department danced all over the globe this summer! Check out the following blogs to learn more about their travels:
- Department-sponsored trip to Costa Rica in May
- Lecturer Sofie Clemmensen's dance film in Denmark (featuring OSU students and alums)
- Senior Abby Carlozzo's cross-cultural collaboration in Burkina Faso
"The message of Globe Trot is that people, all over the world, are equal."
--Mitchell Rose, Assistant Professor, Department of Dance